This was no ordinary baby shower. This was for a very dear friend who is expecting twins via a surrogate. After tossing around a few themes with a friend I settled on baby birds. I didn't want the theme of this party to focus on pregnancy, but instead to focus on what our dear friends are waiting for - to meet their babies for the first time ... much like a mummy bird waits for her baby birds to hatch from their eggs. Our friends have chosen the names so we incorporated the initials onto little birdhouses in front of each place setting and onto the jelly beans eggs sitting on each cupcake.
Clockwise from top:
1. The table setting complete with china plates, champagne glasses, fresh plants and assorted birdhouses. Above the table we hung large Martha Stewart pom poms.
2. Blueberry and custard tarts: Mini filo shells filled with custard and topped with 2 blueberries and grated chocolate.
3. A tiny birdhouse with the initial of each baby in front of place settings.
4. Blue bird cookies - thank you to Edelweiss Bakery for making these. If you live in the San Diego area, you should really try them. Their cookies are fantastic and if you take in a cookie cutter they will custom make cookies for you.
5. Cupcakes: carrot cake topped with cream cheese icing, coconut mixed with blue food dye and top are perched a mummy bird watching over her little eggs.
6. Assorted birdhouses, birds and nests were placed on the dining table.
7. Another larger birdhouse on the dessert table.
- blue corn tortilla chips with Tzatziki dip
- fresh fruit - pineapple, blueberries, kiwi, grapes, mango
- stuffed mushrooms
- cheese and meat platter
- olive tapenade
- Italian chicken pasta salad
- Mexican salad
- Blueberry and custard tarts
- Blue mojito's
N.B. A big thank you to my dear friend Heather for offering her house to host the baby shower and to Heather's mother who provided all of the birdhouses and helped Heather and I to set up in the morning. Also to the wonderful women who watched, fed and entertained all of the children outside so that we could enjoy a beautiful sit down champagne lunch, as adults.
As seen on: