In honor of such a great day I give you
Barilla Lemon Spaghetti
Recipe from: Barilla - The Modern Family Pasta Cookbook
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 9 minutes
- 1 lb Barilla Spaghetti
- 2 fresh lemons
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
Grate lemon peels and place lemon zest in a small bowl. Juice the lemons into a separate small bowl. Whisk the oil, lemon juice, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and blend. Set the lemon sauce aside.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the spaghetti to the lemon sauce, and toss with the basil and lemon zest. Toss the pasta with enough reserved cooking liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, to moisten. Season the pasta with more salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer to bowls and serve.
This meal was served with Pear Parmigiano Reggiano Salad and Focaccia with dipping oils for a family dinner night. I loved that the salad also used lemon and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, so it was the perfect accompaniment for the pasta.
We eat dinner together as a family at least five nights a week, with at least two of those nights being a pasta night, which the twins' absolutely love seeing as pasta is one of their favorite foods. One of the best parts of having pasta nights in our house is that I always make extra to give to the kids in a thermos the following day for their school lunch.
Did you know that:
- 88% of parents are reliant upon multi-tasking each day and more than half (58%) say their life is more hectic now, than a year ago.
- Pasta is recognized by parents and non-parents as a tasty (88%) and easy (87%) meal option and one that can be prepared using on-hand ingredients from a pantry (82%).
- Other benefits of pasta that help alleviate chaotic schedules include that it is versatile (52%), a quick go-to meal (51%) and allows for multitasking while it’s cooking (44%)
- Leading contributors to a hectic lifestyle, making meal-planning and preparation a challenge are: work, household chores, errands, kids’ after school activities, and kids’ homework
On World Pasta Day (October 25) visit Barilla on Facebook to 'Share a Hug' to fight hunger and help Barilla reach their ultimate goal of donating 200,000 meals. For simply 'sharing a hug' with a click of a button, the first 25,000 people will receive a product coupon and everyone gets a copy of The Modern Family Pasta Cookbook download.
Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Barilla. I received product samples to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank-you for participating. #BarillaWPD