These California Sushi Bowls inspired by the California Sushi Roll are gluten-free, healthy, and delicious. They are also full of flavor thanks to Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar and Mizkan Mirin.
This California Sushi Bowl recipe is a sponsored collaboration with Mizkan and the Forward Influence Network. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
One of my favorite sushi rolls is the California Sushi Roll. The filling (imitation crab, cucumber, and avocado) is wrapped in Nori before being rolled in sushi rice, and then in sesame seeds.
My latest obsession is making healthy rice or noodle bowls for Jay and I on weekends the twins’ aren’t home. This week I made California Sushi Bowls based on my favorite sushi roll.
These sushi bowls are quick and easy to make. Cook the rice in advance, refrigerate overnight, and you are ready to assemble your bowl the next day.
About Mizkan Vinegars and Sauces
Mizkan makes cooking and enjoying authentic Japanese recipes (and Japanese-inspired recipes like mine) at home easily accessible. Go to http://bit.ly/WhereToBuy_Mizkan to find where to buy any of the Mizkan vinegars and sauces in your area.
Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar is versatile enough to use in hot or cold dishes to enhance flavors. Learn more about Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar here http://bit.ly/MizkanNaturalRiceVinegar. One of the best aspects of the vinegar is that you can use it in all sorts of dishes—sushi rolls, marinades, salad dressings … the possibilities are endless when making your own culinary creations.
Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar has zero fat and no calories, so you can add a lot of flavor without any guilt. So, if you’re looking for a healthier option, you can use the rice vinegar in place of harsher tasting vinegar varieties with flavorful results.
Mizkan Mirin is a Japanese staple with a tasty trio of sweet, sour and bitter, while offering the perfect accent to any dish. Learn more about Mizkan Mirin here.
If you’re interested in making teriyaki sauce, braised meat and vegetables, tuna poke, miso ramen soup, and stir-fried udon noodles, then make sure you have Mizkan Mirin. Why? The ingredient adds a tangy, rich flavor and shine to dipping sauces, broths, marinades, and glazes.
I hope you love our recipe as much as we do.
California Sushi Bowl
- 1 pkg imitation crab meat (serves 4)
- 2 avocado
- 1 bag of edamame (I purchased a frozen bag, cooked, and then shelled them)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 3 cups sushi rice
- 1/4 cup Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs Mizkan Mirin
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 tbs sugar + 2 tbs sugar (separated)
- Pickled ginger (garnish)
- Rice seasoning - alternatively, combine a crushed Nori sheet with salt, and sesame seeds
- Cook the sushi rice according to package directions (I cooked ours in the rice cooker, then refrigerated overnight).
- In a small saucepan dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar with the Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar and salt. Don't boil, remove from the heat once the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool, and then combine with the rice using a fork.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to use - soy sauce, Mizkan Mirin, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Assemble your bowl with sushi rice, edamame, imitation crab meat, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and avocado slices. Pour a little dressing into a bowl and garnish with pickled ginger and rice seasoning.
Please pin this post for later:
My 8 year old daughter loves California rolls and was so excited that I made this for dinner. Looks like I’ll be making it again really soon. So yummy and easy!
I’m so glad you liked it, it’s become a favorite dinner here too.