Earth Day is just around the corner, Wednesday April 22 to be exact.
What will you be doing?
Here are a few ideas:
> Visit these websites and blogs for Earth friendly information and activities and ways you can help the environment:
- Earth Day
- Ideal Bite
- The Nature Conservancy
- Mother Nature Network
- Traveling the Green way
- Celebrate Green
- Green & clean mom
- Greener Choices
> Earth friendly giveaways:
- momlogic are hosting a giveaway in the ‘Green Logic’ group. All you have to do to go into the drawing to win one of 5 Thumbelina gift packs is leave a comment on how you will use Earth Day as opportunity to teach your children about caring for the earth.
- I will be hosting a giveaway on my BLOG on Wednesday April 22nd to win a My Natural monkey so make sure you stop by to enter.
- Mom Central are you giving you the opportunity to win a Green Electrolux Washer & Dryer.
> Host an Earth Day lunch with your girlfriends
> Do a scavenger hunt with the kids. Have them find items that can and can’t be recycled, rocks, sticks, butterflies and birds. There’s no limit as to what you can have them look for. For the older kids you could make it a little harder by having them find the type of animal, bird or flower they spotted by looking in books or on the internet.
> Make ‘green’ household cleaners with these ideas from Jolly Mom
> Eat organic all day
> Go for a walk or hike with your children. Take a bag and gloves and encourage them to pick up trash along the way
>Visit a Nature Center or Wildlife Preserve
> Teach your children how to plant flowers and vegetables.
> Use this day to encourage your children to clean out their toys and clothes to be donated to a charity.
> Did you know that your make-up and skincare tools need to be cleaned to prevent a build-up of oils from your skin that can be a breeding ground for bacteria. Here are some tips for cleaning your brushes. If they are beyond that point, what better time to ditch the old and replace them with eco-friendly tools.
> Use natural or recycled objects to create wonderful crafts with your children. Here are a few ideas:
- recycle paper towel rolls to cover your cords,
- knit a wash cloth.
- use old magazines, scraps of paper, art supplies etc and have your children make greeting cards for upcoming birthdays and holidays. Here is one idea to get you started.
- Get your hands on some butcher paper for your children to do art projects that you can use as wrapping paper.
- Clean out all of the broken crayons from your children’s art supplies and make brand new crayons out of them.
> Here are some EVERY DAY things you can do to make your house a little bit greener
- only run the dishwasher when it’s full
- invest in a battery charger
- recycle – kids can earn a little extra cash by collecting cans and bottles
- use re-useable bags when shopping. Say no to plastic.
- turn off the water when brushing your teeth.
- time showers
- use excess water from the kettle, vegetable steamer, pets water bowl and water bottles to water your garden
- purchase organic
- walk, bike, skate and scooter as often as possible. Leave the car at home
- ensure your tires are properly inflated
- turn off the lights when you leave a room
Hello :)I am a GREEN Tooth Fairy because I grind up my collection of lost baby teeth to make * magical fairy dust * ! Did you know some baby teeth can be saved/preserved for future stem cell research? To learn more whimsy, lore, dental info, funstuff more please visit me!www.toothfairycyberspace.com Im Twitters Toothfairy toowww.twitter.com/toothfairycyberThanks in advance for signing the Toothfairys guestbook ~ Good-bye, gotta fly! ~
I’ll be washing my dishes by hand. Like I do every day because I don’t have a dishwasher 🙁
Hi Tonya, thanks for the comment on the Mom Bloggers Club! Chocolate, champagne and California – my favorite C words!
Great ideas! Check out my blog for some more toddler-friendly activities for Earth Day. 🙂
What a great list! I’ll be linking.
Our Brownie Troop collected 500 used unwanted t-shirts to turn into reusable shopping bags. They spent part of their Spring Break sewing them together. They will be handing them out this Saturday at their local AP Supermarket in Lagrangeville, NY. I am so proud of how hard they worked and their dedication.