These delicious vanilla lemon curd muffins are the perfect addition to weekend brunch, book club, or afternoon tea with the girls.
When I lived in Australia, I worked in a corporate office. It was a short tram ride away from the city and only a 10-minute drive from my apartment.
A girlfriend and I went to work together every day. Some mornings we would lace up our walking shoes and drag our weary bodies the 2 miles to the office, which felt like 100 miles early in the morning. Some afternoons we may have occasionally ended our day with a walk through the local drive-thru bottle shop for a ‘traveler’ on our way home. I will not confirm or deny that this happened. We often wouldn’t have time to make coffee before leaving for work so would swing by a small cafe next to our office for breakfast. Some mornings when we were feeling hungover under the weather, we would grab a bacon and egg sandwich. Other mornings I would get a lemon curd muffin. These were the best muffins I’d ever had. I miss that little cafe so much.
So, I set about trying to recreate them. These are not exactly the same, but they are pretty close.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- confectioner's sugar
- lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line a muffin pan with baking cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt with a whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Spoon into muffin pans and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once the muffins are cooled a little use a cupcake corer (or melon scoop) to remove a section from the top of the muffin.
- Carefully spoon in a little lemon curd and sift confectioner's sugar over the top.
Please pin this post for later: