This easy recipe for healthy matcha muffins made with ripe bananas and topped with toasted sweetened coconut make the perfect snack.
I had such a craving for cake today. CRAVING! You know the kind, that no matter how much food you devour you still want what you want and nothing else is going to suffice. Going to the store though meant putting on pants, so I foraged in the pantry and found everything I needed to make some yummy baked goods at home. It’s just a shame I’d already eaten all of those chocolate chips right from the bag last week.
Flynn is the only one who eats bananas here but he is at his dad’s house so they are just sitting on the counter. The rest of us only eat them in baked goods or smoothies, so I decided to use the last two before they had to be thrown away.
This recipe was just kind of thrown together with what I had on hand. I’m looking forward to trying it again with white chocolate chips, and maybe coconut milk instead of the reduced-fat milk. Yes, I know it’s not cake, but as long as I was getting baked goods I figured I could trick my brain. It took eating four muffins to do that, but that toasted sweetened coconut did the trick.
Matcha muffins recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp matcha powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 2 ripe bananas (the riper the better), mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Line a muffin pan with non-stick cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, matcha, salt, and sugar.
- In a second bowl, blend the banana, coconut oil, vanilla extract, egg, and milk.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to it.
- Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon the ingredients into the muffin tins, and then sprinkled sweetened coconut flakes on top.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Pop a toothpick in the center of one of the middle muffins.
- If the toothpick comes out clean they are done, if not, pop them back in for another couple of minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
Looking for more delicious muffin recipes? Try these:
- Chocolate chip pancake mix muffins
- Mini pumpkin donut muffins
- Lemonade muffins
- Gluten-free banana chocolate chip muffins
- Vanilla lemon curd muffins
Please pin this post for later: