Taking a road trip with kids this summer? We’ve got the best tips, snacks, and entertainment to get you through your journey.
I’ve lost count of the number of road trips I’ve taken with the kids. Over the years I’ve learned quite a lot though, especially combating the ‘there’s no Wi-Fi’, ‘I’m hungry’, and ‘when are we going to get there?’ comments.
How do you survive a road trip with kids?
Prepare, prepare, prepare! I cannot stress this enough. From making sure your car is serviced, to snacks, entertainment, and first aid kits. Make a list, check it twice, and if you think you don’t need something, pack it anyway because you will. We’ve made this easy for you and have a printable summer road trip checklist that you can print and check off.
Road trip snacks for kids
The last thing you want is to hear ‘I’m hungry’ constantly while you are trying to make it to your next destination. We’ve been using these road trip snack tubs for the kids for a few years now. We’ve done countless trips with them and they are so easy to refill, keep food separated for each child, and there’s no fighting. You can see another version of these snack tubs for road trips over at Kids Activities Blog too. Don’t forget to pack lots of water too.
Keep kids entertained in the car
Keeping the kids entertained in the car can be challenging. We have a few fun ideas for you though.
- Surprise bags filled with fun goodies that they can’t open until they are in the car.
- How you can save money on downloads for devices on your road trip and advice for when there’s no Wi-Fi.
- Don’t forget to pack travel games for the whole family. We even have a printable car game for you to download too.
- Documenting your road trip is a fun activity that kids can do on the trip.
- For kids who are obsessed with LEGO, we have a DIY LEGO travel box and a round-up of the best LEGO gifts for kids who travel.
Do you have any other great tips to add?