Use our mini Christmas stocking knitting pattern to make stocking ornaments to hang on your Christmas tree. Don’t forget to add a treat.
While at home with sick babies today I whipped up these cute little stockings to put on each of the kids’ mini Christmas trees. Santa will be leaving a special little candy treat in these each year (along with his gift under their tree too).
I have been making these for as long as I can remember. It’s a great way to use up remnants of yarn and also great for ‘wrapping’ small gifts instead of using gift wrap.
Last year I knit about 60 of these and popped a small wooden drum in each before sending them off to children we love.
A couple of years earlier I held a knitting party (okay it was a food and wine party, but we did knit too) for girlfriends. We made similar little stockings and popped a cigar in each for our husbands who were deployed at the time.
Mini Christmas stocking knitting pattern
- Needles 3.25mm
- 4 ply yarn
As you can see from the photo above you can use a wide variety of yarns to make your stockings.
- Cast on 23 stitches
- Work garter stitch for 2 rows (knit only)
- 3rd row increase 1 stitch, knit 12, increase 1 stitch, knit 11, increase 1 stitch, knit 3
- Knit garter stitch for next 5 rows
9th row – begin shaping the foot.
- Knit 15 stitches, knit 2 together, turn
- Purl 6, purl 2 together, turn
- Knit 6, knit 2 together, turn
- Continue until 17 stitches remain
- Knit to end of row
Begin forming the leg of the stocking.
- Knit garter stitch for a further 24 rows
- Change color if you want for the top of the stocking.
- Knit garter stitch for 6 rows
- Cast off loosely to last stitch
- Knit last stitch 20 times to make loop for hanging
- Cast off.
From inside out stitch the back seam of the stocking and attach the loop for hanging.
Note: This pattern can be adjusted. For example, I occasionally use a thicker yarn and size 4 needles if I want to make a slightly larger stocking. If I have a fluffy yarn to use on the top such as the green above I double the yarn over when knitting.
More DIY Christmas ornaments
Are you looking for more homemade Christmas stockings to decorate your tree this year? You need to take a look at these:
- Painted ornaments
- Homemade glitter photo Christmas ornaments
- Stamped salt dough ornaments
- Clay ornaments
- Owl ornaments
- Glitter glue ornaments
Please pin this post for later: